Week In Review

It has been one of those weeks.

Monday. I didn’t go to yoga because I didn’t feel great. This was a good decision because Riley ended up not going to school. He had no obvious symptoms except he had to be held. All day. Add Dylan’s meltdown over wearing pants (see previous posts), and you can imagine how the rest of Monday went.

Tuesday. The pants predicament continued. On the upside, Riley had a miraculous recovery so I sent him to school. It was going to be a great morning!

At 10:30, the school called to tell me Riley threw up. I picked him up only to have to return an hour later (with the puker) to bring cookies to Dylan’s class for his birthday. I thought about canceling, but I couldn’t do that to Dylan, who was looking forward to “sprinkle” cookies and was wearing a birthday crown when I left him at school earlier that morning.

After the party, my car wouldn’t start. I had to call roadside assistance, and I also had to have Mike come because what was I going to do with the car seats and the kids? An hour later, Mike and the tow truck arrived. With a hard jiggle of the steering wheel, the tow guy started my car.

I should have been happy about this, but instead I burst into tears. I couldn’t start the car to save my life. The time I had to entertain the kids while we waited robbed me of patience and sanity. Mike had to leave his busy office in the middle of the day. Then this tow guy just starts my car? Frustrated and foolish doesn’t even begin to describe how I felt.

Wednesday. Uneventful. Thankfully.

Thursday. Dylan came home from school with a tummy ache. I had been so preoccupied with Riley’s stomach bug that I didn’t realize Dylan hadn’t pooped since Sunday! He finally went that evening and said, “Mommy, that was a fast poop.” It sure was. Poop crisis averted. Then the heater broke. (Have you seen the weather reports? It’s cold in South Florida!)

Friday. Good start. Both kids went to school. The sun was warm and I exercised, ran errands and even showered. The heater repair guy was scheduled to come in the afternoon.

The repair guy showed up at 4:15pm and by the time he realized the system was completely shot and had to be replaced, the supply house was closed. I won’t bother you with my commentary on this one. Bottom line: No heat until Monday. Next cold front arrives on Sunday.

Well, at least it’s Friday, I thought. Mike will be home soon and we have a great weekend planned. We’ll use a space heater if we need to, and we have a babysitter lined up for Saturday night. Yay!

At 6:30pm, Mike came home from work vomiting. He was achy all over and had a fever. Then the phone rang. It was someone from the yoga studio informing me that the Monday morning class I‘ve been taking, the one that works perfectly with the kids’ school schedule and has made me so happy, has been canceled effective immediately.

This had to be rock bottom.

Saturday. Dylan woke up with diarrhea, and it’s official, Mike has the flu. The babysitter has been canceled.

I’m going to assume we’ve reached the end of our bad week, because otherwise I might actually run away. The boys are taking a rare synchronized nap right now, and I’m taking it as a sign that things are looking up. I’m also thinking about families I know dealing with broken bones, disease, divorce and childbirth. I hope next week is better for them ,too.

How was your week?

Leave a comment

Filed under sick kids

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s