Today, my friends, is Monday, January 7, 2013. It’s the seventh day of the New Year and it’s my New Year’s Day. My fresh start. My first day of the rest of my life. Why, you ask? Because Dylan and Riley (finally) went back to school.
Don’t get me wrong. In the words of Dylan, the winter break was “lovely.” It really was. I used to dread vacations when the boys were younger because it was so exhausting to care for both of them twenty-four hours a day. It’s still tiring, and I did have one brief breakdown at bath time last Thursday evening, but, for the most part, it was nice for all of us to have some time off from the monotonous school routine.
All that said, I was one Happy Mama after I dropped off my brood at school this morning. I’m alone in the house (even Harry went to doggie daycare!), and I’m positively giddy. Here’s what I’ve done so far today:
- I stripped a bed.
- I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher.
- I had two servings of fruit and one cup of green juice (Bolthouse Farms Green Goddess…yum!)
- I went to the grocery store.
- I went to the bank.
- I made a preschool tuition payment.
- I made an appointment for Riley at the ENT. My little sinus troll is coughing…again.
- I called an OT to inquire about fine motor services for Riley. The best way to describe his grip is “the upside down ice pick assault.” He scores major points for originality but something has to be done.
- I sorted and filed our 2012 paperwork. You know, the 12-month pile of bank statements and bills that’s alive and occasionally asks for a snack. Now there’s plenty of space for our 2013 paper monster to grow healthy and strong.
- I went through two weeks of junk mail on the dining room table.
- I cleaned the clutter on my desk so I can begin organizing and writing The Book.
- I boiled a batch of corn on the cob so when I get the afternoon munchies I can reach for that instead of corn chips.
- I went for a run. A cloudy, drizzly, and absolutely glorious 2.6 mile run.
- I wrote this blog post!
And now, I’m about the spend one indulgent hour on the couch eating a Boca burger with a side of carrot sticks and watching last night’s episode of the “Good Wife.” I know everyone is jabbering about “Downton Abbey,” but I’ve never seen it. I’ve also never seen “Dexter,” “Homeland,” “Weeds,” “Breaking Bad,” or “The Sopranos.” Lay off. I have the “Good Wife” and that’s good enough.
In the words of Dylan (again), “today is the best day ever.”
How’s your day?